Monday, September 26, 2011

Trends are crucial

 One of the most important strategies I have used in buying for museum stores is one that is used throughout the retail world, keeping on trend.  Yet I am amazed by how many museum stores fail to do just this. 

It will prove lucrative to have a store display that incorporates hot new merchandise and ties it directly to your museums' collections.

For example, I was able to pinpoint that American Indian motifs are going to be very big this fall and winter.  These collections are a major part of many museums across the country.  It is the perfect time to tell this story in your store because the public will soon be inundated with related merchandise on the open market and you can take advantage with the added benefit of actually being able to teach your merchandise as well as sell it.

Here are some examples of what customers will be seeing in stores
 This is a selection of Pendleton Blankets I saw in August at ABC Carpet & Home in NYC. 

 Pendleton Woolen Mills has introduced the new designer Portland Collection that is fresh and decidedly modern.  They have even produced some exclusive pieces for Anthropologie.

Here is an example of a product I sourced at the NY Gift Fair to capitalize on this trend

This is an iPhone case from Zero Gravity in LA.  These guys make wallets, iPhone Cases and iPad cases with a variety of images appealing to the young urban market.  They have several different American Indian styles that retail for $25.


I read just about every design, home and fashion magazine I can get my hands on and I bookmark close to 75 blogs and trend sites that I go through regularly.  I have discovered that sourcing merchandise based on these trends in a timely manner will give your store a fresh boost and that will be reflected in sales.  So much of fashion, home decor, and design comes from art and culture, take advantage!

No comments:

Post a Comment